June 17, 2012

YVANISM: Imagination rules!


I'm not really fond of reading Pinoy quotes. Not that I have anything against it, I just can't seem to comprehend Filipino that much. Well wait, let me clear that up. I can perfectly understand Filipino, but when I'm reading quotes or notes written in Filipino, I always have a hard time realizing what the quote or whatever it is, meant. I remember my high school days...we were forced to read El Filibusterismo and Noli Me Tangere (Well I think everyone was). And once class starts, I remember my heart starts beating so fast just because I didn't read "again". So I remember asking everyone to tell me parts of the story, and I'll glue them up together. Haha! 

So, I was doing my regular routine. Jumping from Facebook and Twitter, then I suddenly came across this "status" from my friend Kurt; I cut-out some parts. I just wanted to get the core of the statement.

"Hindi baduy ang filipino. ang baduy ay yung naka-neon orange na long sleeves, neon green na pedalpusher, at neon purple na boots, with matching flaming red hair na burnt sienna ang dulo na naglalakad sa tabing-dagat habang suot ang neon pink shades at bright yellow na shemag."

Apparently, it was a statement shared by his Filipino teacher. When I read it, I was laughing so hard I was almost crying. Not because of the content of it, but because I suddenly used my imagination in seeing what is baduy for Kurt's teacher. Or as they call it, Jejemon. And oh God, I should kill myself for even typing the word here. HAHA. And please, don't ask me who or WHAT a Jejemon is, cause I won't answer. Haha! But aside from the overly-expressed and detailed explanation of what baduy is, the statement is actually correct. The language is NOT "baduy" at all. In fact, we should all love it. 

FOR THE RECORD, I speak Filipino fluently.


xo,
Jack

1 comment: