February 04, 2012

COOK IT UP #1:Tofu & Veggies In Ginger Sauce

'Cook It Up' is a new category on my blog. I'm going to share with you some of my favorite recipes with a makeover by adding vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and more.
 
oh, this post is dedicated to my truffle buddy, “chef” Richmond Timbol. He hates chicken, pork, and beef!(weird right?) ;D

As some of you may know, I love truffle oil but my cooking skills go beyond just pouring truffle oil on virtually everything. Haha! To prove to you that I'm Iron Chef, here's a healthy recipe (vegetarian too) without truffle oil that you can serve to your family and is super easy to make!

I have to admit that this is the first time I cooked this dish. It's a result of my meat cravings these days and whatever ingredients I found inside the ice box. I have to say, I even surprised myself on how this meal turned out! Yummy!

Tofu & Veggies In Ginger Sauce


What you need:
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Salt
Pepper
Parsley (for garnish, optional) 

Firm tofu (not soft or medium, OK?), sliced 1/2 an inch thick.


Baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced. You can use any mushrooms that is available.


Carrots, cut Julienne style. Again, you can use any vegetable that is in season. You can use cabbage, bell peppers, bean sprouts, broccoli or all!

Ginger sauce:
1/4 cup tamari or light soy sauce 
2 teaspoons minced ginger 
a pinch of white pepper 
sesame oil to taste (I used 1tbsp. for this recipe because I looove sesame oil!)

Preparation:
Combine all the ingredients. Serve as a dipping sauce or pour over tofu and veggies.   

 Step 1: Heat up the oil. Deep fry the tofu and season them with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Tip: Make sure that the oil is smoking hot before you add the tofu.

 Step 2: Set aside crispy tofu and drain the excess oil.

Step 3: In a separate pan, saute veggies in EVOO. Add 2 tbsp of the ginger sauce, salt, and pepper.
 
Step 5: Plate the tofu and veggies gourmet style. Drizzle the soy ginger sauce on top of the tofu.



 Happy cooking folks! :)

xo,
Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment