February 16, 2012

YVANISM: The Life Cycle of A Shoot (Mercator Shoot)

Since blogs are all about life-sharing and making yourself the center of the universe, I'm giving you guys a peek into what is the center of my universe (for now) five out of the seven days of a week—(Mercator campaign shoot)

The work week usually begins with a lot of texting and BBMing (not on my part since I’m not a crackberry anymore). Our head puts together the shoot-- booking the talent, the make-up artist, hairstylist, studio, me for the wardrobe and photographer.

We text back and forth--with Mercator founder Jonas Gaffud, of course--and decide on a concept. And, especially because he gave me 8 hours to search pegs. I worked on a very tight schedule (hello? overnight? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!) I used a lot of pegs to help communicate with our collaborators better.

For the Lovi Poe shoot, the main peg was Megan Fox's Wonderland shoot:

Using a peg, of course, doesn't mean we copy the photo exactly. It just serves as a sort of point of inspiration, a jump-off point, creatively, for the shoot. I was hit with the idea to portray Lovi as an Aztec goddess. I pulled-out (industry lingo for borrowing clothes from a store for shoots) from Charina Sarte, Glasnost, and SM accessories :

Now, the thing with shoots is there is a lot of waiting...

That's make-up artist Jake Galvez and hairstylist Buern Rodriguez working on Lovi.

From there, we shoot. For the Lovi Poe shoot, we worked with New York-based photog Lope Navo.

Most of the time, we shoot with Xander Angeles so we shoot at his studio in Makati. When we're not working with him though, we usually shoot at Pioneer studio. It's a nice studio, with interesting interiors and a cafe.

The page usually goes through a lot of changes-- Lope make edits and our head will change the layout etc etc etc.
 
The Mercator campaign mag will be launched next month (I guess)

I really look forward to work every week, which is, I guess, the point of it all. When you love what you're doing, nothing feels like work anyway.

xo,
Jack 

1 comment: