February 10, 2012

YVANISM: Where did you want to be at 21?

I have less than a month until my birthday, and like how each year goes, it’s time to look back and see how far I’ve gotten in one year. To be honest, I feel like this was the slowest year ever. And the least… I don’t know, impressive of all? It seems like I was exactly where I was a year ago, and in these times of self-making, that’s not such great news.

But when I think about it, I can list a few milestones that I was quite proud of. Could it be that I just feel like the hype from those things have died down and are no longer enough? There’s so much pressure to always do better than your last, and within the smallest time interval possible, that I feel like we just don’t give ourselves enough credit sometimes.

While chatting with my friend the other night, she told me about an ex-officemate who, at 27, felt that her career in advertising was going downhill and decided to pack her bags and try her hand in the medical industry instead. Kind of a wild jump, but what got to me was how she felt kind of already doomed at that age.

Then again, this is the time when you’re supposed to get up every morning and change the world before the weekend. In the timeline of our lives, we’re at the point where you work your ass off for a few years until you finally understand how you want your life to go. If you think about it, 27 is the age when a lot of people think they should be settling down, feeling more secure about where they stand. It’s all just sinking in now, a few weeks before my birthday, and it’s kind of crazy!

I guess my point is, a lot of people feel so stressed about where they are, and where they’re going, and their five-year plans. Keep things in perspective. Step back a little, and ask yourself,
 

“Is this where I wanted to be at 21?”

I think a lot of you would be surprised to know that actually, you are.


Well, maybe some people are a few steps behind. It happens. It doesn’t mean you haven’t gotten anywhere. At the same time, we’re all probably still far from where we want to be eventually, but I think it’s important to at least pat yourself in the back for achieving what you have today, just to keep you sane. 

Relish that moment. And then, get back to work, because remember, there’s only a couple of years ’til you’re 27.

xo,
Jack

3 comments:

  1. Nice one, Jack! It's good to hear from you that you are thinking of your future. Haha. Not the usual you, pero malay mo in your 21st year, things will just turn around and it may be your best year. Just look forward into it. Scary though. HAHA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, this is Lem pala. HAHA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God I'm not alone thinking of myself - of my future. At 23, I feel i'm not moving and have been stagnant. In fact, theme song ko this year ang "today my life begins of bruno mars"..hehe ^_^

    ReplyDelete