February 18, 2012

YVANISM: The Tragedy of a Ticket


Yesterday started out fine. Cho and I went to Bikram, then had lunch in this small deli in Serendra after. On our drive to cho’s pad, I thought, “I’m having a good day!” Maybe it was me getting ahead of myself, because at a little after lunch, my day wasn’t even half done. It was a good day, until a traffic enforcer decked in dark blue hailed us down and told cho to pull over. I rolled the window down and asked him what the matter was. “Sir, coding po kayo.” Huh? There’s coding window on McKinley. It’s only 2:30pm. I butted in, “Kuya, 2:30 palang. Diba may coding window hanggang 3? Nagtanong ako sa MMDA, may window daw dito.” To which he replied, “Sir, hindi po ‘to jurisdiction ng MMDA. Makati po dito.” WTF.

Not gonna lie, I was caught off-guard by his statement. What? I’m so sure there’s no coding here. A couple of months ago, I tweeted at MMDA (because really, how else do you contact MMDA anyway?), asking if there was coding window in McKinley. They said yes, and this information made us pass through the said road during window hours with confidence, over and over again. But apparently, on this lucky day, I learned that the stretch between EDSA and 5th Avenue in Global City is still under Makati traffic jurisdiction.


Yes, there was pleading, anger but still Officer Fernandez wouldn’t budge. The next parts of this scene are going to be censored–- let’s just say that we’re not very proud of how we handled the situation. At all. A ticket, a short sermon from Fernandez’s colleague on keeping my cool, cho’s confiscated license, and a (P4000) damaged hubcap later, we we’re on our way to cho’s house, still livid from the ordeal. And until now that I’m writing this, a day later, there’s some bitterness in there (obviously).




That three traffic enforcing bodies cover this tiny city of Makati is ridonkulus in itself, but that’s another story. (Also, three traffic enforcing groups, and they still can’t get the traffic problem right?) What really pissed me off is that we actually made the extra effort to ensure that we’re not violating anything before we acted. It wasn’t like when we’d try to sneak out knowing that we’re coding and really just hoping no enforcer would spot us. I actually thought were in the right this time because of the information given to me. Yeah, it was based on a tweet alright, but like I asked, how else do you reach MMDA anyway? Plus, when you think a reliable source is answering your question, I think it’s safe to say that the answer is reliable. It’s not like I was asking about rocket science or anything.


So basically, I feel slighted because I thought we were doing the right thing, only to be punished for it anyway. To be honest, it disturbs me that I would let something as small as a traffic ticket bother me like this. It seems petty, but I know some people who would get as upset, so maybe there’s just a bunch of car-issues-sensitive people, and we’re part of the club. When I think of the bigger picture though, it was really just my reaction that got me into most of the trouble. Sometimes, I just get too caught up in my tiny issues, I guess. Heavy Sigh.


On the brighter side, at least the traffic enforcers were doing their job? I don’t know if they would have accepted a bribe, because I’ve never tried giving those. (Plead, cry, smize haha!, play cute, just don’t bribe! Don’t add to the rotten system!) Fernandez confiscated cho’s license, “kasi ganito kami sa Makati,” he said.  I kid you not. Unlike MMDA, the claiming process for Makati (or any city, I think) is more tedious because you have to go to their office to actually get your license. Anyway, he explained what we’re supposed to do and remained calm despite my histrionics. Ugh, give credit where credit is due, even when you hate them.


And here I am, still feeling awful every time I see this damn ticket on my table, reminding me of “how things never go the way you plan them, even if so carefully done, so suck it up and get on with your life”. Very Heavy Sigh.


So guys, remember: There is no coding window on McKinley Road.




xo,
Jack







1 comment: